Brazilian Style Flan Recipe
Makes 4 flans
For the caramel sauce:
1 cup of sugar
¼ cup water
For the flan:
1 cup of milk
1 14oz can of sweet condensed milk
4 whole eggs
1. In a small saucepan melt sugar with water over moderate heat, stirring frequently, until sugar is a dark, caramel-colored liquid.
2. Remove it from heat and pour into a baking mold. Let cool so caramel hardens.
3. Heat oven to 350°F. Add the condensed milk, milk and eggs to an electric blender.
4. Cover and blend to mix well.
5. Pour mixture into mold; put mold in a larger pan filled with water to depth of ½ inch.
6. Bake for 45 minutes. Check doneness. Center of flan should jiggle but not be liquid.
7. Remove from oven and remove mold from water.
8. Cool and then refrigerate up to 4 hours.
9. Cover mold with an inverted serving platter.
10. Hold mold and platter together and turn them over.
11. Lift off mold.
12. Caramel will fall as a liquid sauce over the flan.